The Austin-Healey 100 was built between 1953 and 1956 by BMC (British Motor Corporation). It was developed by Donald Healey to be produced in-house by Healey’s small car company in Warwick and based on Austin A90 Atlantic mechanics. Healey built a single “Healey Hundred”” for the 1952 London Motor Show, and the design impressed Leonard Lord, Managing Director of Austin so much that a deal was struck with Healey to build it in quantity at Austin’s Longbridge factory. The car was renamed the Austin-Healey 100.
The ‘100’ name comes from Donald Healey, who selected the name from the car’s ability to reach 100mph. The first 100s (series BN1) were equipped with the same 90bhp engines and manual transmission as the stock A90, but the transmission was modified to be a three-speed unit with overdrive on second and top. The 2660cc engine featured an undersquare 87.3 mm bore and 111.1mm stroke. Girling 11″” drum brakes are fitted all round. Front suspension is independent using coil springs and at the rear is a rigid axle with semi elliptic leaf spring while the steering is by a cam and lever system.
A BN1 tested by The Motor magazine in 1953 had a top speed of 106mph and could accelerate from 0-60 mph in 11.2 seconds. These were built from May 1953, and replaced by the BN2 model in mid-1955.
The first 100s (series “BN1″) were equipped with the same 90 bhp (67 kW) engines and manual transmission as the stock A90, but the transmission was modified to be a three-speed unit with overdrive on second and top. The 2660 cc I4 engine featured an undersquare 87.3 mm (3.4 in) bore and 111.1 mm (4.4 in) stroke.
Girling 11 in (279.4 mm) drum brakes are fitted all round. Front suspension is independent using coil springs and at the rear is a rigid axle with semi elliptic leaf springs. The steering is by a cam and lever system.
This car was purchased by original owner, Ralph T. Boothe, in 1956 who drove the car throughout Europe before importing it to the U.S. In 1962 Boothe began a total disassembly of the car with the idea of creating a fast-back coupe, a very popular body style in the early ‘60’s. Boothe built a full-scale wood mock up and had California Metal Shaping of Los Angeles create the metal top out of 18ga. Steel. Final fabrication and paint was done by Gill’s Auto Body Shop in East Los Angeles.
In 1966 this Healy Coupe appeared in the August issue of Road & Track magazine and was featured in Austin Healy Magazine’s January-February 2010 edition. This is a true, one-owner from new, one-of-a-kind show car that would be welcome in any vintage rally, concours or club event.
PRICE: On Request
MILEAGE: 37,800 original miles
EXTERIOR COLOR: Standard Oil red
INTERIOR COLOR: Black
BODY STYLE: Custom bodied Coupe
ENGINE: 4-Cylinder, gas
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed, manual
DRIVE TYPE: 2Wheel drive, rear
FUEL TYPE: Carbureted, gas
1956 Austin Healy 100-4 Coupe
Post# A445356 · 328 North El Camino Real #A Encinitas, CA USA 9202 · Posted by:
- (Not Provided)
- Make (e.g. BMW)
- 1956 Austin Healy 100-4 Coupe
- Body type
- 2 Door Saloon
- Fuel type
- Colour (e.g. metallic red )
Contact this User
It is NOT ok to contact this poster with commercial interests.